Home Chef (www.homechef.com) is a Chicago-based e-commerce food startup that aims
to make cooking well at home easier and healthier by delivering fresh ingredients and step-by-step
recipe cards every week directly to your doorstep. Variety. Flexibility. Simplicity.
Fresh Ingredients. Perfectly Portioned. Recipe Cards. We believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: Home Chef saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together around the dinner table.
Our 2013 start-up has experienced amazing growth from delivering 1 million boxes in 2015 to delivering over 10 million boxes in 2016, with comparably aggressive growth targets over the next few years. The company is well-funded having closed its most recent investment (Series B round) from a prominent global consumer products venture capital firm. Home Chef is scaling its operations massively to support hyper-growing consumer demand and currently has over 700 employees across six US locations.
At Home Chef, we believe that team members who are personally invested in their work deliver the best possible customer experience – our customers can tell that we love what we do. That’s why we empower our crew to take ownership of their disciplines. We collectively believe in our product, and we care greatly about how we, as individuals, can contribute to company growth. We hire the best of the best, we work hard, we have fun, and we’re inspired by our community of home chefs every day.
• #3 player in the meal kit industry, delivering over 10 million meals in 2016 with staggering growth of 25x in 2015 and 10x in 2016
• Delivery to 98% of the continental US within two days, with production sites in San Bernardino, CA, Lithonia, GA and Chicago, IL
• 700+ corporate employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service, and quickly growing
• Passion-led, fast-growing organization with a mix of talent from ex-McKinsey/Bain/BCG, other consultancies and experienced industry professionals
We are looking for a high-energy, data-driven analytics specialist who will perform top-down and ground-up analyses and create real-time operational tools for the Operational Excellence Team. This role will be an exciting opportunity to grow our tools into a comprehensive operational system and to perform analytics that drive immediate change for the business in the fast-growing meal kit space. The right candidate for this role will love diving into large sets of data and will approach gathering data creatively. Passion for seeing analytics take shape live and drive to tangible impact is a must. This role will report to the Operations Analytics Manager on the Operational Excellence Team and is based out of downtown Chicago.
• Drive analytical support for cross-domain projects. Initial focus will be around operations analytics
• Develop models and methodologies to monitor success of multiple facets of the business (facility capacity, machinery usage, labor, production, etc.)
• Create cascading metrics across two current facilities and likely a third by the end of 2016
• Metrics will support 24/7 operations
• Highlight differences in data from multiple systems and marry data inputs. Develop and refine best practices for data sources/combination of data sources to utilize for making the smartest business decisions
• Pursue exploratory data analysis at your own direction to maximize impact on business results. Home Chef has a lot of data and information from somewhat disparate systems that, to-date, has not been given the attention of a dedicated data scientist to explore. There is unlimited opportunity to drive growth and business impact through these exploratory efforts
• Ability to draw strong conclusions and advise operation and production team on how to utilize data analyses and execute upon changes to the business as a result of material conclusions
• Ability to wear multiple hats as is expected at a startup
• Embody the Home Chef core values of putting the customer first, pursuing excellence, taking
ownership, and building a best-in-class team
• Execution & impact: opportunity for immediate incredible impact
• Professional development: you will learn a ton, quickly (we move too fast to hire McKinsey, so we hire their best associates)
• Amazing place to work: our employees love working here (4/4 ex-consultants say it’s the best job they’ve ever had)
• 1-3 years minimum of data/analytics experience at a rapid growth startup, preferably an e-commerce company
• Incredibly strong attention to detail
• Results oriented: able to quickly execute and get things done; quick & resourceful learner
• Experience using data exploration and visualization tools (e.g. Excel, Access)
• Tableau would be nice to have
• SQL experience in transactional and data warehouse environments
• Bachelor’s Degree in an analytic-focused field (e.g. engineering, math, statistics, economics, finance, social sciences). An advanced degree is a plus.