Home Chef (www.homechef.com) is a Chicago-based e-commerce food startup that aims
to make cooking well at home easier and healthier by delivering fresh ingredients and step-by-step
recipe cards every week directly to your doorstep. Variety. Flexibility. Simplicity.
Fresh Ingredients. Perfectly Portioned. Recipe Cards. We believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: Home Chef saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together around the dinner table.
Our 2013 start-up has experienced amazing growth delivering over 10 million boxes in 2016, with comparably aggressive growth targets over the next few years. The company is well-funded having closed its most recent investment (Series B round) from a prominent global consumer products venture capital firm. Home Chef is scaling its operations massively to support hyper-growing consumer demand and currently has over 700 employees across six US locations.
At Home Chef, we believe that team members who are personally invested in their work deliver the best possible customer experience – our customers can tell that we love what we do. That’s why we empower our crew to take ownership of their disciplines. We collectively believe in our product, and we care greatly about how we, as individuals, can contribute to company growth. We hire the best of the best, we work hard, we have fun, and we’re inspired by our community of home chefs every day.
• #3 player in the meal kit industry, delivering over 10 million meals in 2016 with staggering growth of 25x in 2015 and 10x in 2016
• Delivery to 98% of the continental US within two days, with production sites in San Bernardino, CA, Lithonia, GA and Chicago, IL
• 700+ corporate employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service, and quickly growing
• Passion-led, fast-growing organization with a mix of talent from ex-McKinsey/Bain/BCG, other consultancies and experienced industry professionals
We are looking for a Strategy Manager for Operations who will drive change across the operations organization on high-impact, high-priority engagements, reporting into the Chief Operating Officer. This role would entail being the “right-hand” person to our COO, helping to drive operations-wide strategic and financial plans to achieve aggressive growth and margin targets across the business.
The right person will have extremely strong drive and ownership, being able to partner with employees at all levels of the organization from hourly production associate to the C-suite. We are an organization committed to supporting rapid professional development, and high-performers in this role would have the opportunity to take on a P&L operational role within 12-18 months.
• Co-develop high-level strategic plans for growth across all Home Chef operations (procurement, fulfillment, food safety & quality, continuous improvement etc.) with C-suite level executives
• Create top-down and data-driven financial models to build clear, realistic plans to deliver our aggressive growth and margin targets
• Preserve confidentiality and have strong judgment about when and where is the appropriate ways to share and safeguard sensitive information (e.g., compensation, organizational changes)
• Structure and define high-level direction into tactical plans to drive impact and value creation (e.g., top-down financial plan for automation into full implementation plan for capital investment by facility)
• Build Excel impact and financial models to set targets and size impact of specific operations initiatives (e.g., expanding to a new facility), working comfortably with large data sets and top-down assumptions
• Develop and maintain organizational charts and roles/responsibilities by team, as well as modelling out compensation (current and intended)
• Create compelling and data-led Powerpoint presentations to communicate projects to C-suite and to board members/investors
• Adapt quickly and fluidly to rapidly changing projects and under dynamic conditions
• Be solutions-oriented in challenging contexts with multiple stakeholders
• Work fluidly across all business functions in operations and outside (e.g., marketing, culinary), having exceptional interpersonal and influencing skills to drive recommendations forward
• Build content mastery and deep knowledge across all areas of operations, from procurement to production
• Dive into project-based work across various operations functions, as required
Minimum Position/ Education Qualifications:
• Excellent problem-solving skills to structure, prioritize and dimensionalize issues within given projects (1-2 years’ experience at a top tier consulting firm, investment banking, private equity or in a strategy or operations role)
• Exceptional Excel analytics and an innate feel for numbers to determine how to prioritize work streams based on value creation and create necessary tools or financial models to measure success and impact
• Strong drive and ownership, and able to work to effectively to manage process and set priorities without significant oversight
• Able to envision tactical solutions that will work in hands-on operational environments with ease
• Strong commitment to defining strategies in operations that will create long-term value across the full business
• Excellent verbal and written communicator, with experience in giving structured and insight-led presentations to C-suite executives and hourly employees alike
• High aptitude for tightly organized planning and process management, and strong attention to detail
• Adaptive and flexible in a quick-changing, fast-growth environment, able to shift gears quickly and multi-task effectively under tight deadlines
• Willingness to pitch in and help at all levels of the organization, with a solutions-oriented, can-do mindset
Work experience: 2-3 years at top-tier consulting firm or in strategic/operational role in fast-growing start-up or corporate environment
Education Level: 4-year Bachelor’s Degree from top-tier institution
Required Travel: Occasional travel required, but primarily based out of downtown Chicago headquarters with travel to five additional facilities (Lithonia, GA; San Bernardino, CA; Chicago, IL)
Technology Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Sheets required
Compensation: Attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience